Encouraging Words

"Rejoice Evermore!" ---I Thessalonians 5:16


"God sends the rain into your life so you can enjoy the beauty o' HIS rainbow!" --- Jill McFinnegan (:

Visitor Counter


View My Stats

Friday, July 2, 2010

30-- CD (Gram, PICC, RN's, Manicure)

Altoona Regional Hospital
Wednesday, June 30, 2010.


Today is Wednesday, it's been a busy day for me. Not necessarily getting things done, but just lots o' things on the list that are on the schedule. I woke up at 8 a.m. to get my shower. When I got done with my shower I came out o' the bathroom to be greeted by a sweet smiling face...
----------------------------
Grammy Hoffman
----------------------------
Gram had a dentists appointment scheduled up here in Altoona and she decided she would spend some time with her granddaughter before she went to her appointment. Gram has always been an inspiration to me in that she is 88 years old and full o' spunk. She stopped by and I had some cards and suggested we play a card game. So we played a few rounds o' "Spite & Malice", which I must say she kicked my butt, like always! (: She was only able to sit through a few rounds before she was chomping at the bit and ready to leave. I was very thankful that she was able to stop by and visit. Thanks for the visit Gram, I love you!
My Gram...She's the BEST!

----------------------------
PICC Line
----------------------------

This a.m. my IV in my neck started to infiltrate and leak into my neck. It started to burn, so I called the nurse and told her that it was burning. The nurse said, "Ok, I will tell the doctor." Finally 30 minutes later another nurse came by, I mentioned how badly it was burning. Apparently the IV should have been shut off to prevent it from infiltrating more. Whoops. So here are all the pictures o' the swollen/infiltrated neck IV site:
Can you see it?

Kinda looks like a goiter?


There it looks like a big bump...

Compare to the normal side.


Finally, it's out!



It's a li'l red...


Vampire bite...with a li'l bit o' blood!


The PICC LINE STORY---
I was getting ready to go down to get my PICC line put in. So the nurses were telling me all that I needed to do before heading down to the procedure room. The way she explained it to me was as though I was going down into surgery. Now, I've had many many many PICC lines in my life, so I know what to expect. In Pittsburgh, they do the PICC line along the side o' your bed. I was in the bathroom cleaning up and I hear them yell my name cause they needed to scan my bracelet. So I came walking out o' the bathroom with my PJ bottoms on and my sports bra on. Well the one nurse began to explain how I needed to not have my bra on. So I nicely told her that I didn't think she wanted me to walk out there naked and flashing her. So then I put my gown on and the nurse said I needed to take off my PJ's and my underwears. Now, the PICC line procedure is on my arm...NOT my leg or butt!! So anyway I think she just wanted to see my sexy body!! (: Haha...she also wanted me to remove my bobby pin from my hair and take off my hair ties on my wrist. I don't think she realized what all was involved in the PICC line placement.

Then I got down to the procedure and the one guy (Matt) started the procedure, and he got it in, but couldn't advance it through my vein. In his frustration and under his breath he got upset and stated he just wanted to shove it real hard.

Shocked I stated, "Do you realize that I'm not sedated and I can hear everything you are saying!?"

He laughed a bit and told me that this was a 15 minute procedure, and it was already passed the hour mark! So he called and got another doctor to help. The new doctor tried for a while as well, and at this point I was getting frustrated and it was really starting to hurt. So he put a call out to the head guy and he came down and finished the job. So the procedure that should've taken around 15 minutes ended taking over 2 hours! But finally I was able to get my PICC in and this baby should last me a 7 days before it needs changed.



----------------------------
Nurses
----------------------------

Even though this was my first time being on the any other floor other than the 5th floor, the nurses sure have been nice. It's been great to meet all the new nurses and have great heart to hearts with various ones.
Me & Vicky.

Me & Nurse Joyce.
Notice my hair? Joyce did it?

She went out and bought me a hair, hair tie to help with my alopecia (hair loss) that I'd been having. She was so sweet and such a blessing. It's li'l gestures like this that really can take a blaa day and change it to a GREAT day! (:
The HAIR-hair Tie! (:



----------------------------
Visitors
----------------------------
Becky Coleman, Lindsay Seliga, Mama Lane.

Had some visitors stop by today. What a pleasant surprise. While I was being transported down to get my PICC line, I came back and there was a lovely balloon and card. Pastor Coleman was in the recovery room down on the 3rd floor after having his hiatal hernia. So while Pastor was walking around trying to gain up strength so he could go home, Becky came to visit me. Apparently he was in his "See-More Butts" gown with a pair o' sneakers on, when one o' the nurses started to run after Pastor yelling, "Patient is trying to escape! Patient is trying to escape!" So it was quite funny. Also while Becky was here the phone kept ringing and ringing. I would answer the phone and a shaky old voice would say, "...hello...I'm looking for STEVE!" Eventually Mrs. Coleman answered the phone, got the nurse, and we figured out what was gong on. WOW!!
Becky & I...


My nurse talking to the crazy lady!


Lindsay...my best fair-whether friend, EVER!


Holy Crap...She's SO Cu



Mama Lane stopped by to bring me a few things!
She is the sweetest person EVER! LOVE HER!






----------------------------
Manicure
----------------------------

This is Michelle Lamborn Bonin. I grew up with her since 3rd grade. We've always been best buddies b/c we have so much in common Anyway, since I was in the hospital, Michelle decided to stop up and keep me company for a while.
We look SO good!


She was so thoughtful to stop by.


BEFORE: My Footzies!


I picked bluish/green.


My Mama's Nails...I did good, right?


Pretty job, Michelle?


My job on Michelle's fingers.



YUM...Candy!


Doing a flower design!


Can you see the flower?



She did such a wonderful job.


Talking to her Hubby, Tony!
"Smile Tony!!" ~Jill

A Foot & A Hand...isn't that a disease?


Saying our Goodbyes!

It was so good to have Michelle stop over to visit, and she is such a blessing. She was able to just sit and talk, do nails, you know, fun girl stuff!! (: Haha...So looking back through I can see how much a blessing friends can really be.

UPDATE:
They are talking o' moving me to UPMC, Montefiore for a second opinion. They also mentioned that they might want to take me down to The Cleveland Clinic, out in Ohio. Eventually we can only hope that they can figure out and get some answers. Right now, I am in UPMC; however, this is a day off, so I am going to try to touch up the next blog set.

THE END!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment